Cyprus Mail
Cyprus Featured

Coronavirus: one death and 927 new cases announced on Thursday (Updated)

coronavirus 4833754 960 720

The health ministry on Thursday announced one more death from Covid-19 and 927 new cases, while 296 patients are currently being treated for the coronavirus in hospitals – a record number.

The latest casualty, a man aged 68, takes the death toll to 296. The man, who had received the first dose of a vaccine, expired at the ICU at Limassol general hospital.

As per recent practice, the ministry did not say whether he had underlying conditions.

Of the 296 deceased to date, 196 are men and 100 women. The average age of the deceased is 78.

Hospitals were treating 296 people – the highest number so far – of whom 74 in a serious condition.

The cumulative number of positives in Cyprus to date comes to 59,792.

Of the 74 said to be in a serious condition, 33 are intubated, five in ICU without intubation, and 36 in a high-dependency unit.

The Famagusta referral hospital for Covid had 73 patients; Nicosia general hospital 84 patients; Limassol general 58; Larnaca general 48; Paphos 23; and Makarios five.

Regarding the testing, of the 55,566 PCR and rapid tests taken, 927 came out positive, yielding a positivity rate of 1.67 per cent.

Of the positives, 124 came from 1,111 contact tracing samples; one from 1,1125 samples taken at the two airports; 176 from 3,424 samples taken by private initiative; 60 from 625 samples processed by the microbiology labs at state hospitals; three from 131 samples from personal physician referrals; 24 from 716 samples (rapid tests) processed at private laboratories and pharmacies; and 539 from 48,334 samples taken as part of the islandwide testing programme.

By district, and concerning rapid tests, Larnaca had the highest positivity rate at 1.87 per cent; then Famagusta at 1.61 per cent; Nicosia 1.50 per cent; Limassol 1.03 per cent; and Paphos 1 per cent.

On Friday President Nicos Anastasiades will inform party leaders of the epidemiological situation and what measures – if any – will be taken going forward.

Media reports citing anonymous sources said authorities are mulling a two-week lockdown.

Related posts

Tributes pour in to mark International Nurses Day

Antigoni Pitta

64 irregular migrants taken to Pournara

Jonathan Shkurko

Consular help for Cypriots in Israel, Palestinian territories

George Psyllides

Akel files objections over name issue

George Psyllides

Open Call for Sardam Festival 2021

Eleni Philippou

Coronavirus: Portal operating normally, 6550 slots booked in 45 minutes (updated)

Annette Chrysostomou