This video is meant to expand your general knowledge about living a healthy life and is NOT a substitute for seeking medical advice. Please consult with your doctor before making changes in your health practices, diet and self-care.
In this video, Dr. Eric Berg, a chiropractor who specialises in healthy ketosis and intermittent fasting, explains the connection between blood sugar and eye conditions or diseases.
The eye-related topics he covers are:
- Puffy eyes: fluid follows sugar
- Glaucoma: high blood glucose depletes the oxygen reserve
- Cataracts: high blood sugar levels cause proteins to become misfolded
- Retinopathy: high blood sugar oxidises and destroys the blood vessels surrounding the optic nerve
- Macular degeneration: lutein won’t help without normalising blood sugar first
- Red, irritated eyes: occurs from inflammation and damage, caused by high glucose in the blood
- Dry eyes: can occur because glucose depletes vitamin A and zinc, causing deficiencies
View the original video here.
Good Living is the Cyprus Mail’s portal of curated content from across the internet, showcasing local and global ideas, cultural highlights, and scientific and technological developments to inspire a sustainable life.