Cyprus Mail
Cyprus

Two remands after large fight in Paphos (update 2)

arrested 2

Two men, aged 17 and 25, were remanded for eight days on Tuesday by Paphos district court in connection with a massive brawl in Paphos on Monday night that saw two people hospitalised and damage to property around the town centre.

Two others, aged 20 and 22, were detained at Paphos general hospital, one of whom had suffered broken ribs and had to undergo surgery, the other a broken left arm.

Police have secured six more arrest warrants in connection with the clashes between rival groups of Syrians, reportedly over a football game.

Initially it had been reported that two groups totalling 50 people were involved but the number was later reduced to 25.

Paphos CID chief Michalis Nicolaou said the unprecedented incident that took place on Athinas Street at around 10.45pm.

Participants in the fight threw stones and assaulted each other with knives and clubs.

Nicolaou said it initially appeared that the reason for the affray was insignificant, but police were looking into whether there were more serious causes.

Police officers were patrolling the area to prevent similar incidents and also to collect information. Nicolaou appealed to the public to convey any information they have in the future.

The fight was broken up by the arrival of police on the scene, but most participants managed to flee apart two who were initially arrested.

Related Posts

Noose is tightening around Turkish Cypriots

CM Guest Columnist

Paphos municipalities get state-of-the-art street sweepers

Kyriacos Nicolaou

Bird flu identified at two locations in Famagusta area, poultry owners warned to be alert

Kyriacos Nicolaou

Mandatory road-safety messages to be included in ads for cars and alcohol

Kyriacos Nicolaou

Paphos police book 26 for traffic violations, one arrest

Kyriacos Nicolaou

Investigation into string of burglaries leads to three arrests

Kyriacos Nicolaou