Flat 6 Concepts is an award-winning, luxury branding agency, founded by Christos Joannides, partnering with clients to develop a diverse range of work including brand identity, art direction, website design, packaging, and advertising design
“As entrepreneurs, we face constant challenges in growing our businesses and carving our own niche in the market. I wanted to compete in this everchanging and uber competitive world and use my passion and drive to bring concepts to life and give them wings,” said Christos Joannides
Christos, from Cyprus to Los Angeles, how did you find your voice as a creative?
“Frank Lloyd Wright once said, ‘Tip the world on its side and everything loose will land in Los Angeles.’ Living in LA for the past 30 years, that quote could never ring truer. It seems everyone who is not bound by anything or anyone, and is brave enough to follow their dreams, has landed in Los Angeles. In my opinion, finding your voice as a creative in any city, is the honing of your craft paired with the right daily inspiration. Los Angeles has truly fed me in that respect and still inspires me every day.”
Did your Greek Cypriot upbringing influence your road to success in any way?
“I consider myself fortunate for growing up on a Mediterranean island in simpler times with simple things. I grew up in the 70s and 80s in a country where there was only one television channel, and the telecast was in black and white. Imagine that. It is a great analogy, that put a lot of things into perspective for me later in life. Especially moving to a city like Los Angeles where abundance is everywhere.
“Growing up bilingually, speaking English and Greek was also very helpful in navigating college classes. My birth city of Nicosia with its Roman ruins, Muslim minarets, Greek Orthodox churches, and Venetian walls, served as a backdrop to my childhood that still influences me to this day.”
What has been your biggest challenge in brand development, and how did you overcome it?
“My biggest challenge when developing a brand is always trying to convince the client that the solution I show them is the most appropriate one for their brand. Thankfully, they agree 90 per cent of the time. The other 10 per cent is the uphill battle.”
What makes Flat 6 Concepts unique?
“Flat 6 Concepts is a luxury branding agency producing graphic design work inspired by a sophisticated, understated, and elegant aesthetic. I always say that ‘good design is good design,’ which applies across the board, not just luxury. What makes Flat 6 Concepts unique is our honed aesthetic and deep experience in working with brands to develop visual communication and branding strategies that will help them succeed and thrive.”
How has the rise of technology impacted the world of advertising?
“Tracking, and the collection of customised data on prospective clients, has been the biggest technological advancement in advertising both online and print. These highly targeted demographics help advertisers develop strategies that are not only impactful but also very cost effective.”
What are your core values?
“Integrity, spirituality, humility, and honesty are the four things that keep me grounded.”
Cyprus Ready is a project founded to instil a renewed sense of pride for the residents of Cyprus and for lovers of the island. What was the inspiration behind this unique cultural initiative?
“Cyprus Ready was a personal project of mine that I have always wanted to explore since I was a child growing up in Nicosia. My purpose was to instil a sense of pride for Cypriots living in the various towns of Cyprus. To be from Nicosia or Limassol and be proud to wear the t-shirt.”
As a successful Greek Cypriot of the diaspora, you are an ambassador for Cyprus abroad. How has the Greek Cypriot community in the US responded to your success?
“Where I live there are very few Greeks, let alone Cypriots that I know of, and the Greek community here in Los Angeles is much more thinly spread out than other cities such as New York or Melbourne. The unifying place is St Sophia, our local Greek Orthodox church, and if you are not active in it, you tend to lose contact with the diaspora. I am sure if they heard about Flat 6 Concepts, they would be quite proud.”
Do you have a mantra – a positive phrase or affirmative statement that you say to yourself for the purpose of motivation or encouragement?
“One of my favourite quotes is by actor and comedian Steve Martin: ‘Be so good they can’t ignore you.’
What is the legacy you would like to leave behind?
“I would love to be remembered as someone who despite his flaws, inspired people to follow their dreams, was a good father, left things better than he found them, and always made time for fun and frivolity.”