Paphos CID chief Lefteris Kyriakou on Wednesday confirmed that suspected murder victim Angelos Perikleous had been shot and buried in an unknown place.
Speaking on Sigma news, Kyriakou said the case is particularly difficult to solve, due to the main suspect exercising his constitutional right to remain silent, which nonetheless makes the investigation harder, as well as the fact that Perikleous’ body is yet to be found.
“But we will not stop, the investigations continue at an intensive pace,” he added.
Kyriakou said police are still taking statements to pin the place where Perikleous is supposedly buried. To date officers have scoured areas in Zygi and Tochni where the victim’s phone last emitted a signal, without success.
A 24-year-old hacker was re-arrested for the case in Limassol on Tuesday and remanded for a further eight days. He was charged with premeditated murder.
Police made the arrest after securing a written statement from his uncle, who said that the hacker admitted the crime to him on April 21, while holding him at gunpoint. The 24-year-old allegedly admitted to killing Perikleous with a gun and then burying him, according to the uncle’s testimony.
Other testimonies have also emerged, Kyriakou said, but the hacker’s uncle’s testimony was decisive.
The 24-year-old allegedly woke his uncle up and pointing the gun at him, told him to help him burn Perikleous’ car.
The burnt-out vehicle was later found at a shooting range in Paliometocho, Nicosia.
The suspect allegedly detailed to his uncle how the killing took place, including having shot the victim multiple times, everything preceding the crime, and how evidence was destroyed.
The suspect’s mother was also accused in writing on Tuesday of complicity and released pending further investigation.
Two men aged 50 and 36, who had been remanded in connection to the case were released on Tuesday following the legal service’s opinion.