Two women were hospitalised for smoke inhalation after a house fire in Tersefanou in the Larnaca district at Friday lunchtime.

A lit candle in a bedroom of a residence in the village of Tersefanou in the Larnaca district caused the blaze, authorities said.

Larnaca police spokesman Haris Hadjiyiasemi told Cyprus News Agency that the fire completely destroyed the bedroom and affected the masonry of other rooms.

“The occupant of the house is 80 years old and she and her companion inhaled smoke, resulting in an ambulance being called to the scene and first aid was provided,” he said.

The two women were transferred to Larnaca general hospital as a precaution.

“At around 12.50 noon on Friday, May 19, information was received at the Kition Police Station about a fire at a residence in the community of Tersefanou in the Larnaca district. Members of the police station went to the scene and investigations revealed that the fire had broken out in a bedroom of the residence,” Hadjiyiasemi said.

Meanwhile, in a post on social media, the spokesman of the Fire Brigade, Andreas Kettis, stated that two fire trucks from the Larnaca fire station responded.

According to the post, the cause of the fire was investigated on the spot in cooperation with the police and it was determined that the blaze was caused by a candle kept lit in a specific area of the residence.