The epidemiological condition in schools is looking good, but there is no room for complacency, the ministry of health said on Monday.
Health ministry official Carolina Stylianou said on Monday that although the current situation is satisfactory, a future outbreak could change everything.
“From a total of four and a half thousand checks, a small number of cases was identified. What satisfies us is the large percentage, about 90 per cent, of parents who have given their consent for their children to be tested in schools,” she said.
150,000 tests have been carried out so far in secondary schools, among which sixty-three positive cases have been identified.
Voluntary testing in 50 primary schools found less than ten positive cases.
“Certainly, the epidemiological condition has improved but that does not mean we have to stop monitoring the situation,” she added.
Regarding children whose parents do not consent to the test, she said that in primary schools the test is not compulsory, but if a contact of these children in school is a confirmed covid case, then tests must be performed.
Stylianou commented on the reduced number of rapid tests sites, saying that this is normal as the vaccination scheme is progressing, and at the same time, children are mostly checked in schools.
She also noted that for children in schools in distant areas, a ministry decision means they are always tested at school rather than sometimes having to arrange a test themselves at weekends.
“We have made sure that there are units in these schools every Monday and Thursday,” she concluded.