Police have categorically denied that the matter of issuing an arrest warrant against journalist Makarios Drousiotis was never raised in connection with an ongoing case linked to complaints he has made publicly.
In a statement issued on Monday following media reports and allegations circulated online, police said that “such a warrant was never issued and therefore, these reports do not correspond to reality.”
The force said the clarification was necessary “to avoid misleading public opinion and creating false impressions” regarding the actions of the authorities and the procedures followed in the case.
Police added that “the competent authorities act exclusively within the framework of the prescribed institutional procedures and on the basis of the data of each case.”
The statement came after Drousiotis claimed in a social media post that police had prepared an arrest warrant against him in mid-April following “political guidance from the Presidential Palace.”
Drousiotis alleged that details of the supposed warrant and an indictment had been leaked to the press and claimed that Diko president Nikolas Papadopoulos had publicly called for his punishment over what were described as false reports.
He further alleged that authorities later withdrew from pursuing the matter because they feared public reaction, while also accusing former president Nicos Anastasiades of influencing events “from behind the scenes.”
The controversy is linked to allegations made by Drousiotis in the so called ‘Sandy’ case, which involves claims against several public figures.
According to previous reports, Drousiotis alleged that a woman identified only as ‘Sandy’ had been raped and stabbed by former Supreme Court judge Michalakis Christodoulou and that he had fathered three of her children.
Christodoulou has rejected the allegations and said he had merely “acted like a father” to the woman.
Other individuals named in the claims have also denied wrongdoing.
Earlier this month, reports indicated that the appointment of an independent criminal investigator into the case was “out of the question”, with authorities instead waiting for reports from Europol and the FBI while continuing local investigations.
Click here to change your cookie preferences