Cyprus Mail
Cyprus Cyprus Talks

Working groups briefed on talks

By Stefanos Evripidou

PRESIDENT NICOS Anastasiades yesterday briefed the seven working groups set up to assist the Cyprus problem negotiator on the latest developments in the peace talks.

The working groups are divided into the following categories: Governance and Power-sharing; EU/Human Rights; Property; Territory; Economy; Security, and Citizenship/Asylum.

According to Cyprus News Agency (CNA), during the briefing at the Presidential Palace, Anastasiades discussed the four pillars of his government’s policy on the peace talks.

These are: appointment of a negotiator; upgrading the role of the EU; confidence-building measures (CBMs), and securing agreement on a joint statement before the resumption of talks.

On the negotiator, the president highlighted the success of getting Turkey to agree to meeting with Greek Cypriot Andreas Mavroyiannis, in exchange for letting Turkish Cypriot negotiator Osman Ertug to meet with a representative of the Greek foreign ministry.

While the government’s package proposal on the opening of Varosha appears to remain in limbo, Anastasiades cited the recent agreement with the Cyprus Football Association and the Turkish Cypriot football federation as a good example of a CMB.

On the upgraded role of the EU, the president reportedly told the group of experts gathered at the palace that Brussels has agreed to enhance the role of the European Commission’s representative to the UN Good Offices mission in Cyprus once negotiations are underway.

The representative’s role will mainly involve checking whether what is agreed between the two sides is compatible with the EU body of laws.

According to CNA, Anastasiades also told the working group members that during his recent visit to Brussels, he received wide support from the EU on the need for a joint communiqué.

Despite an informal meeting between Anastasiades and Turkish Cypriot leader Dervis Eroglu last week, no progress could be reached on a joint communiqué. In fact, Eroglu turned up to the buffer zone opposite the Ledra Palace with a prepared statement to read out after the near three-hour meeting, calling on Anastasiades to skip the joint communiqué and start talks immediately without any preconditions.

However, Anastasiades has made it clear he will not engage in talks with Eroglu without a statement clarifying what the basis of the talks will be, particularly the desired outcome. Regarding negotiations on a joint communiqué, Mavroyiannis has accused Eroglu and Ertug of being more concerned with how to ensure the possibility of a divorce between the two sides post-settlement than on actually reunifying the island.

UN Special Adviser Alexander Downer is due on the island this Sunday for further meetings with all involved.

Related Posts

Coronavirus: One death, 535 cases reported on Saturday

George Psyllides

Hundreds march to protest government plans for Akamas

George Psyllides

Coronavirus: Parents block roundabout in measures protest (updated)

Staff Reporter

Coronavirus: Sunday’s free testing sites for eligible groups

Staff Reporter

Coronavirus: Health minister assessing potential Omicron threat

Staff Reporter

Contemporary Art from Cyprus

Eleni Philippou

1 comment

Comments are closed.