Cyprus Mail
Cyprus

Remand for attempted murder suspect (Update)

Paphos court

 

A 32-year-old was remanded by Paphos court Monday in connection with hitting another man with his car on Sunday morning in Polis, which police are describing as attempted murder.

Investigating officer Savvas Savva told the court, that on being questioned the driver had said to police that he had no intention of killing the 33-year-old, and that he had hit him by accident.

But police investigations point to the victim, 33, having been injured deliberately during the incident at around 8.30am. The two were said to have personal differences.

Police say that, under circumstances that are being investigated, the suspect appeared to have driven his car into the victim, who was on foot, resulting in injuries to his legs. The driver immediately abandoned the scene, they said.

The 33-year-old was taken by ambulance to Paphos general hospital where he underwent surgery having sustained fractures in both legs. He was examined by state pathologist Eleni Antoniou.

Following investigations and evaluation of information received, police located and arrested the driver after securing a judicial warrant.

Police said earlier that the 32-year-old, who has come to their attention before, told them he was at the scene of the incident but had not injured the man deliberately.