Water supply to Nicosia and the surrounding regions will be cut off at night temporarily due to the diversion of supply from the main pipeline to a number of villages in the district whose supply was deemed unfit for consumption last week.
The Water Development Department (WDD) on Friday called on the public to limit consumption. It said supply would be cut from 6pm to 7am every other day.
Last week, the supply to Ayia Varvara, Alambra, and Pera Chorio-Nisou was deemed unfit for human consumption. Natural erosion had caused part of the underground pipes’ protective layer to break off and enter the water supply. The section of pipe is 2.3 km long and must be replaced, which could take weeks. In the meantime, water is being diverted to the villages through the central Tersefanou-Nicosia pipeline.
Nicos Zambakides, the director of the Nicosia Water Board said yesterday: “We are working with the WDD, and if they can send more water we will not need to have to shut off the water at night. As of right now we are receiving 46,000 cubic metres of water and we need 55,000 cubic metres so in situations like this we need to preserve water.”