By Constantinos Psillides
The trial of the 17-year-old, who killed British Cypriot Michael Antony Louis Mina in Larnaca in November last year, was adjourned on Thursday until February 13.
He will remain in custody until then.
Defence lawyer Yiannis Polychronis and prosecutor Andreas Aristidou asked judge Nicolaos Santis for a continuance so they could submit agreed statements, to hasten the trial.
The 17-year-old is on trial for stabbing Mina, 22, outside the victim’s apartment in the Makenzie area, in the early hours of November 16. He admitted killing Mina but denies that it was premeditated.
The two had argued over the fact that the teenager had been dating the victim’s ex girlfriend.
The 17-year-old said he had been acting in self defence. He claimed that Mina had arranged a meeting so they could settle their differences.
He alleged that the victim had also pulled a knife on him but it was never found.
Following his admission the defendant led police to the murder weapon, a 12cm military knife.
Polychronis had said previously that a toxicology test conducted immediately after his client’s arrest, found traces of amphetamine, methamphetamine, cocaine, cannabis, and two powerful sedatives in his bloodstream.
The case sparked criticism against the state for lacking the proper mechanisms to deal with delinquent teenagers.
The 17-year-old had been implicated in around 60 cases, some including car theft, and had already spent two months in jail.
His family had pleaded with police and the courts to keep him in custody but he was released because of his age.