Cyprus Mail
Football

Inter Milan sack coach De Boer

Dutchman Frank de Boer lost seven of Inter's 14 competitive games while in charge

Inter Milan fired Dutchman Frank de Boer as coach on Tuesday after less than three months in charge during which the former European champions lost seven of their 14 competitive games.

Inter, who dropped to 12th in the Serie A table following Sunday’s 1-0 loss to Sampdoria, said youth team coach Stefano Vecchi would be in charge of the team for Thursday’s Europa League match at Southampton.

“The club thanks Frank and his staff for the work they have undertaken and wish them the best for the future,” Inter said in a statement.

Inter, traditionally one of Italy’s three biggest clubs alongside Juventus and city rivals AC Milan, appointed the 46-year-old De Boer on August 9, two weeks before the start of the season, after Robert Mancini left by mutual consent.

The former Netherlands defender had no experience of playing or coaching in Italy. He had previously been in charge of Dutch side Ajax Amsterdam for six years during which he won four league titles.

His overall record of five wins, two draws and seven defeats included shock losses to Hapoel Beer Sheva and Sparta Prague in the Europa League and at home to Cagliari in Serie A.



Related posts

Cyprus Sports Organisation president outlines steps to reduce pandemic’s impact

Source: Cyprus News Agency

F1 set for a series of firsts with revised race calendar

Reuters News Service

Next Cyprus football season to be played in two phases

Kyriacos Nicolaou

Developers insist on Paralimni golf course

Annette Chrysostomou

Danish fans enjoy ‘drive-in’ football despite defeat

Serie A teams face two-games a week marathon

Leo Leonidou