Cyprus Mail
Cyprus

Hunger strikers cut fluids too

By Staff Reporter

A group of four political refugees plan to march to the interior ministry on Thursday to hand over a petition demanding they be granted Cypriot citizenship.

The recognised refugees, three men and a woman, have been on a hunger strike for 16 days now, and as of Tuesday stopped taking fluids as well, a statement by immigrant support group KISA said.

Supporters, including KISA and other non-governmental organisations, will be collecting signatures and will try to hand to petition to Interior Minister Socrates Hasikos.

Next they will stage a protest walk ending at the parliament, where the House Interior Committee will be discussing the refugees’ demands.

The refugees had called off a 52-day hunger strike back in January when the interior minister promised that their residency applications would be examined. Having made no progress, they resumed their strike earlier this month.

The four say they are not seeking jobs or handouts from the state, and that they merely want residency status or Cypriot citizenship in order to be able to leave the island and travel to other EU countries where they have friends and relatives.

They say that after spending 15 years on the island their status is still in limbo.


Related posts

New rubbish solution proving to be a smelly alternative

Jonathan Shkurko

Time for Turkey to understand EU’s massage says Neophytou

Katy Turner

‘Public health must be prioritised over phone companies’

Katy Turner

Hail and storms from Famagusta to the mountains (update 4)

Katy Turner

Colourful festival draws to a close in Ayia Napa (pics)

Katy Turner

Armed robbery at Nicosia bakery

Katy Turner

1 comment

Comments are closed.