Cyprus Mail
CyprusHealth

Cypriot doctors perform first epilepsy surgery

American Medical Centre

A GROUP of Cypriot doctors have performed their first ever neurosurgical procedure to treat epilepsy at the American Medical Centre/American Heart Institute (AMC/AHI).
The preparations and surgery were performed by Dr. Costas Michaelides, a neurologist and epilepsy specialist, and Dr. Andreas Demetriades, a neurosurgeon, who are based at the AMC/AHI and the University of Edinburgh Medical School, respectively.
Epilepsy is a neurological condition which affects 0.5-1 per cent of the world’s population, with 5,000 people in Cyprus suffer from the condition. Around 75 per cent of people who have epilepsy are treated with medication which is considered ineffective for the remaining 25 per cent. Those who cannot be treated with medication seek surgical alternatives.
The procedure will be offered to people in the second category after they are monitored and referred by their doctors. The AMC/AHI partnered with the Centre of Epilepsy at King’s College Hospital in London and will be jointly examining more demanding and complex cases of epilepsy. Prior to last week, all cases of epilepsy seeking surgical treatment were sent to hospitals overseas.
The first patient who underwent surgery had been monitored by doctors for some time to make sure that they found the area of the brain being effected by epilepsy without causing damage to other brain functions.

Related Posts

One Covid-19 death recorded daily, local expert urges vulnerable groups to get fourth jab

Sarah Ktisti

Bishop of Limassol tests positive for Covid-19 (Updated)

Sarah Ktisti

Clashes in Shanghai as COVID protests flare across China (Updated)

Reuters News Service

The Lady of Lemba: dark side of an ancient statue

Jean Christou

Free tree saplings for locals in Tree Week greener Cyprus drive

Sarah Ktisti

Paphos police go on weekend crackdown of drink drivers and entertainment venues

Sarah Ktisti

12 comments

Comments are closed.