The operator was at all times at the helm of the speedboat which crashed into rocks off Latchi on Monday night, killing one woman and injuring five others, three seriously and two lightly, it was reported on Friday.
According to the Cyprus News Agency, investigators were able to get a statement from the 37-year-old woman who was injured along with her husband and two children in the crash, on Thursday from the hospital, as her condition had improved, allowing her to communicate.
Chief boat inspector at the ministry of communications and works Kyriacos Kofteros said it is important to find out who had been in control of the speedboat, adding that the 50-year-old Cypriot operator of the boat and the Chinese woman’s 35-year-old husband, both in serious condition in Nicosia hospital, will also be questioned at a later stage.
On Friday, he said, a specialist engineer is expected to visit the scene of the accident and examine the speedboat in an attempt to determine whether a mechanical failure was involved.
A post mortem will be carried out on the dead Chinese woman in Paphos.
In addition to the woman who was killed in the crash, a Chinese couple and their two children, who were in Cyprus on holiday, and the boat’s operator had been aboard the boat.
Damage to the boat, which was found on Tuesday seven nautical miles from the Latchi port, suggests it had been traveling at excessive speed too close to the shore, according to investigators.