Cyprus Mail
Crime Cyprus

Paphos armed robbers still at large

THE stolen car used by two hooded armed robbers that blasted their way into a branch of the co-op bank in Timi at around 8.30am on Monday morning before demanding cash and fleeing the scene with €21,500, was found burnt out at midnight the same day.

The beige/coffee coloured Hyundai four-wheel drive, registration LAR 046, which was reported stolen from a parking lot at Paphos airport, was found on the outskirts of Choullou village in Paphos.

“The robbers set the car on fire and it is destroyed,” Paphos police spokesman Michalis Ioannou told the Cyprus Mail, adding that so far, no witnesses to the action had come forward.

The vehicle owner is from Larnaca and parked it at the airport while traveling abroad.

Four people voluntarily gave statements at Paphos CID on Monday and a subsequent search of their homes found no evidence relating to the crime, said Ioannou.

“We are still investigating but so far, no arrests have been made,” he said.

The robbers spoke in broken Greek, and both wielded guns, a Cyprus issue G3 assault rifle, and a hunting shotgun at terrified staff after first shooting out the glass of the security doors at the front of the bank before entering. They had their faces covered and demanded money from the two terrified female bank tellers on duty. There was also one customer inside the bank at the time.

Paphos police are also investigating a robbery at a jewellery shop in Chlorakas village in the early hours of Tuesday morning, which saw the thief or thieves make their get away with a large amount of silver jewellery and watches, the value of which is yet unknown.

Ioannou said: “The robber or robbers broke into an empty shop next to the jeweller, it used to be a bank, and destroyed the dividing wall between the two before gaining entry.”

He said that the perpetrator then cut the wires to the CCTV equipment, before looting the store and making a get way. Ioannou said that technicians are repairing the equipment which will enable the police to examine any footage; this will hopefully show how many thieves there were, he said.


“The alarm went off at 4am and triggered an SMS message to the shop owner who then called the police, we were at the scene within 15 minutes, but it was too late,” he said.

The store owner is insured, he added.

Related posts

Firefighters battled blaze near Kouris dam into the night

Peter Michael

Patients group says state doctors and hospital staff ‘doing whatever they want’

Peter Michael

State must provide escorts for all students with disabilities, Lottides says in new report

Peter Michael

Urgent plea for blood donations

Evie Andreou

Coronavirus: eight new cases announced on Friday (Updated)

Peter Michael

Looking again at Loukia Nikolaidou: stories

Eleni Philippou


Comments are closed.