By Maria Gregoriou
TWELVE smoke bombs were found in the bag of a 16-year-old male student in Limassol yesterday, as secondary schools opened islandwide for the new school year.
The smoke bombs were discovered after the motorcycle which the 16-year-old was riding to school was stopped by traffic police. When stopped, the student ran away leaving his school bag on the ground.
Traffic police throughout the island also confiscated five motorbikes because they either had no licence plates. They also found that many students were not following the traffic code. This mainly involved riding a motorbike without wearing a helmet.
While visiting three middle schools in Limassol, Education minister Kyriacos Kenevezos said that although times were difficult, the economic crisis should not be an excuse for not doing what should be done.
On the issue of the ministry being criticised for removing orange juices and bottled water from the free breakfasts for needy school children, Kenevezos said this had to be done to meet the needs of all of those children.
Last year the free breakfast cost the government €1.06 p4er child per day. This has been reduced to €1 because the number of entitled children is expected to increase, Kenevezos said.
“If further funding is received during the year, we will reexamine our decision,” the minister said. In the meantime children must use the school water supply, which Kenevezos said had been checked by the health department and cleared for use.
After the first school day of primary schools on Monday, Kenevezos had a telephone conversation with almost all headmasters. He also hoped to do the same with headmasters of middle schools yesterday to find out if there were any problems.
This year about 44,309 students are enrolled in middle schools, compared to 45,004 last year. Last year 116 middle schools were running while this year the number has dropped to 115 as two schools in Limassol have been merged.