Energy Minister Giorgos Lakkotrypis said Saturday’s comments by Electricity Authority of Cyprus (EAC) union leaders made against him were nothing more than personal attacks and contained no arguments as to why the semi-government body should not be unbundled.
On Saturday the unions on Saturday hit out Lakkotrypis, calling him a liar who completely ignored orders from President Nicos Anastasiades.
Their furious reaction, expressed during a press conference, followed an unofficial announcement by government sources that on Monday Lakkotrypis would hand over a bill to the Cabinet sealing EAC’s fate.
The bill proposes that the power company, though unbundled into to entities – one responsible for distribution and transmission, the other for production and supply – would remain in state hands, which has received the nod of approval from the island’s international lenders. But the unions now stated they were opposed to the unbundling.
In responde to their protests on Saturday, Lakkotrypis told CyBC that the outcome was the same as the one agreed with the unions during a meeting with them at the presidential palace on December 7.
“Beyond the personal attacks on myself I heard no arguments as to why the unbundling should not happen,” the minister said. He said the unions reactions were incomprehensible given that full employee rights had been secured.
He added that on Monday two proposals will be put before the cabinet, one is the withdrawal of the decree for the privatisation of the EAC and the second a decision in principle for the unbundling of the Authority.
Ministers would discuss whether the two proposals comply with what was agreed with the trade unions at the December 7 meeting, he added.
Lakkotrypis also argued that the EAC board and management who participated in all discussions, believe the proposals are consistent with what was agreed and he called on the unions to respond with rational arguments as to what they agreed or disagreed with.