The government will by Wednesday announce the names of the new board members of semi-governmental organisations (SGOs), government spokesman Nicos Christodoulides said on Monday following a meeting of the cabinet.
A preliminary list of the names had been drafted, with the final decision to be taken by or on Wednesday during a cabinet session prior to the president’s departure for Mongolia.
The terms of the SGO boards expired on June 30, but a decision on the new appointments was delayed due to the crisis over the recent Solea fires as well as President Nicos Anastasiades’ attendance of a European Council Summit discussing the Brexit referendum.
The ministers responsible for the various SGOs propose names to the office of the presidency, which takes the final decision.
The proposed names are then vetted to ensure they comply with the criteria.
Individuals who have completed 60 months on boards of SGOs are ineligible for reappointment. Eligible are persons who have a clean criminal record and who are not in debt to the state.
Three chairpersons of SGO boards are not eligible for reappointment, having completed 60 months on the boards of various SGOs. They are Christos Patsalides (CyTA), Alecos Michaelides (Cyprus Ports Authority) and Klea Papaellina (Cyprus Sports Organisation).
In addition, EAC chairman Othonas Theodoulou has stated he cannot stay on due to other obligations.
Among others, the boards whose terms are up concern the following SGOs: EAC, CyTA, the Cyprus Tourism Organisation, the Cyprus Sports Organisation, the Cyprus Broadcasting Corporation, the Housing Finance Corporation, the Cyprus Land Development Agency, the Licensing Authority, and the Cyprus Theatre Organisation.
Meanwhile on the issue of the reconvening of the National Council, an advisory body to the president, the government spokesman said Anastasiades would be meeting with all the heads of political parties to discuss the issue on his return from Mongolia next week.
Anastasiades has proposed a confidentiality clause, allowing the members of the council to only disclose their own positions and not those submitted by other members.
According to the proposal, all eight parties represented in parliament would take part in the meetings but only with one member and not two as was the practice to date.
Meetings will have a specific agenda in a bid to make them more productive.
The council’s operation was questioned earlier this year after EDEK chairman Marinos Sizopoulos made public the confidential minutes of two meetings, saying the public had a right to the truth as regards reunification negotiations.
The move prompted Anastasiades to rethink a promise to allow documents from the talks to be circulated at meetings and in the meantime said he would brief party leaders separately.