A 29-year-old man was jailed for eight years on Tuesday for causing the death of his three-month-old baby in Paphos last year.
The man had pled guilty to manslaughter in the death of his son in February 2018, whom he claimed he had accidentally dropped on the stairs.
Authorities had also charged the mother of the child but the attorney-general suspended prosecution against her.
The mother said that her partner was violent and aggressive and had shaken the three-month-old infant several times and thrown him violently into his cot.
She also said he sometimes he did not want the baby around because the infant bothered him when he played video games.
Initially, the father said the baby had fallen off the couch and hit his head but two days later, on February 28, he admitted dropping him while going down a metal staircase at his home in Timi.
The father said he had lied because he was afraid he would lose custody of his other children.
The couple have two more children.
The baby died on February 22, four days after his father rushed him to Paphos general hospital in a comatose state.
He was transferred to Makarios children’s hospital in Nicosia where a head scan showed brain injury and an epidural hematoma.
The post mortem had been decisive, leading to the couple’s arrest.
According to the report, the baby’s death had been caused from a heavy head injury involving impact with a surface.
The severity of the injury suffered by the baby was not compatible with a fall from a 70cm-high sofa, the report said.
The president of the Paphos criminal court, Rea Limnatitou said the events in the case in question were tragic.
The defendant was generally aggressive and his home was filthy and untidy, she said, adding that the court could not comprehend how a father had caused the death of his three-month old baby, even if he was angry.
“We find no excuse for the defendant’s actions,” Limnatitou said. Any violence against a baby is condemnable, she added.