Cyprus Mail
Sport Tennis US Open

Raonic withdraws from US Open due to wrist injury

Milos Raonic is the latest big name to pull out of the season's final major

Milos Raonic has withdrawn from the U.S. Open due to a persistent wrist injury but plans to return to the Tour later in the year, the Canadian said.

The world number 11 last played at the Rogers Cup in Montreal earlier this month, where he lost 6-4 6-4 to Frenchman Adrian Mannarino in the second round, before pulling out of the Western & Southern Cincinnati Open last week due to the injury.

“I have tried everything in my power to rehabilitate this injury in time for the U.S. Open … However, I am left with no option but to withdraw from the event,” Raonic said on Instagram.

“I have too much respect for the U.S. Open and my fellow competitors to take a spot in the draw when I know I cannot give full effort due to this injury.”

The 26-year-old said he had a procedure to alleviate the condition in his left wrist and is undergoing rehabilitation to recover over the next few weeks. He hoped to return to the ATP Tour later this year.

Several other top players will miss the U.S. Open due to injury with Novak Djokovic (elbow), Stan Wawrinka (knee) and Kei Nishikori all ending their season early to recover.

The U.S. Open, the final grand slam of the year, is being held from Aug. 28 to Sept. 10 in New York.

Related posts

Horror night for Mourinho as Roma hit for six in Norway

Reuters News Service

Spurs can still qualify, says confident Nuno

Press Association

Turkish NBA star Kanter sparks backlash in China after comments

Reuters News Service

Newcastle ask fans not to wear Arab-style clothing to matches

Press Association

No risk leaving key Spurs players behind, says Nuno

Press Association

West Ham’s Soucek recovering from plastic surgery to face after kick

Press Association