Drilling activities on behalf of ExxonMobil and Qatar Petroleum in the Delphine target in Cyprus’ offshore block 10 have been completed but there will be no announcements until after the end of drilling in the second location the energy consortium has chosen to explore, Energy Minister, George Lakkotrypis, said on Wednesday.
The ministry announced that drilling in the Delphine-1 target has been completed and the Stena Icemax drillship has already started operating in Glafcos-1, the second location in block 10 the consortium has chosen to carry out exploratory drilling.
No announcements would be made by the government or the energy companies concerned, until after the second drilling is completed.
Lakkotrypis told state broadcaster CyBC on Wednesday that the government made an agreement that the results of the two drillings would be jointly announced with the companies in due time.
He said that the second drilling, in Glafcos-1 target, is to be completed soon.
The targets, he said, which are not the same geologically, have been chosen by the energy companies themselves.
“We hope that the procedure will be completed very soon,” Lakkotrypis said.
President Nicos Anastasiades confirmed last week that activity had ceased for 10-days at Delphine due to a technical difficulty but that they would re-start before the end of the previous weekend.
The Stena Icemax drillship leased by ExxonMobil started the exploratory deep-water drilling on November 16. The drilling was expected to be concluded by the end of 2018.
Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said on Wednesday Ankara was not against drilling activities in the Eastern Mediterranean: “We too are starting drilling off the coast of Cyprus. The stability of the region is important for us. We are following developments closely but the rights of the TRNC must be guaranteed and protected”.