Cyprus Mail
Europe Middle East Recommended World

Paris prosecutor says opens manslaughter probe into crashed EgyptAir jet

The Paris prosecutor’s office on Monday opened a manslaughter investigation into the crash of EgyptAir flight MS804, as the doomed jet’s black box memory chips were sent to France for repair.

The Airbus went down in the eastern Mediterranean Sea en route from Paris to Cairo on May 19 and all 66 people on board were killed. The cause of the crash remains unknown.

“The Paris prosecutor has opened today a full investigation into involuntary homicide,” the prosecutor’s office told Reuters in a text message.

The prosecutor said it was not looking into terrorism as a possible cause of the crash at this stage.

Damaged memory chips from the black boxes were flown to France on Monday after Egyptian investigators had tried without success to repair them, an investigation committee statement said.

The chips should allow investigators to begin transcribing and analysing the recordings and data which may hold key insights into what caused the crash.

A lab belonging to France’s BEA air accident investigation agency will try to remove sea salt deposits from the chips before returning them to Cairo for analysis.

The plane is believed to have crashed in the deepest part of the Mediterranean and the black boxes, recovered last week, were badly damaged.

On Monday debris from the jet was brought to Cairo airport, where investigators will try to reassemble part of the plane’s frame in search of additional clues that may help explain the crash, a source on the investigation committee said.



Related posts

Macron criticises Turkey’s “warlike” rhetoric on Nagorno-Karabakh

Reuters News Service

UK GDP collapsed nearly 20% in Q2 in historic COVID hit

Reuters News Service

Disney to lay off 28,000 due to COVID, New York City imposes mask fines

Reuters News Service

Insults and interruptions mar first Trump-Biden debate

Reuters News Service

Sex workers say Brussels prostitution ban drives them underground

Reuters News Service

Azerbaijan and Armenia reject peace talks as Karabakh conflict zone widens

Reuters News Service

3 comments

Comments are closed.